Saturday, July 27, 2024

TRAINING CAMP 2024 HAS OFFICIALLY BEGAN FOR FANS

 

Saturday July 27th was Day 1 of Vikings TC in Eagan, Minnesota and this IS my 31st year of attending this wonderful event.

The strange thing about me or at least one of the strange things is I dislike heat like I can’t describe yet year after year I sit out there watching the team train. It seems like the weather knows when it’s training camp time it’s automatically going to be hot. Saturday July 27th, 2024 did not disappoint. It was sticky and icky!!!!!

I got to Eagan around 11:30 and waited in line as the gates don’t open until noon. That is ok because I love being there with the other hundreds of Viking fans.

Security is walking up and down the sidewalk making sure people didn’t have questions but reminding people they can’t bring full size footballs or helmets in but mini helmets are ok. I saw a few people making the trip back to their vehicles.

The gates open and I feel like I am in Willy Wonka as so many fans are walking quickly. There is a scratch off area to the left where kids can get a scratch off to hopefully meet the player they wanted to meet.

The rest of us seemed to go in the Vikings Locker Room for 2 fold reason potentially with a chance to get in air conditioning or shop while cooling off. All I know is it was packed in there and hard to move around.

I recommend if you come bring a water bottle empty with a lid on it as they have water stations around camp where you can fill your water bottle for free.

There is plenty to do for families but when I go I wait around and at 1pm the gates open for practice which doesn’t start until 2:30. My reasoning is I go to the top of the bleachers and get a back rest and it seems to be cooler with a little breeze coming through. There are often other fans up there so I can talk to people if they want to. I have learned through the years every one there has one thing in common and that is our favorite team in purple.

The practice itself is nothing special as there is so much going on its hard to pick one area you want to watch which I believe this a good problem.

I love 7 on 7 watching. I have seen like everyone else highlights but to see these guys in person is a whole different animal.

I love watching Justin Jefferson because he seldom makes a regular catch he seems to practice his art or making the easy catches tougher by going one handed or leaping. All I know is he brings a ton of joy to fans.

I am extremely impressed with JJ McCarthy’s arm strength and accuracy although he did have a forced pass that was intercepted but I saw way more good than bad.

One guy to watch for in camp will be Jalen Nailor. I liked him in camp last year and he is back wearing #8. He made 3 TD catches including one of them a pass thrown behind him. He made a catch in the corner of the end zone that I thought the defender had good coverage but Nailor made the catch. How nice was the catch ? It seemed every offensive skill position player congratulated him including a big high 5 for Justin Jefferson.

The defensive side of the ball the player that stood out to me was first round pick, Dallas Turner. It seemed every time he was lined out right he was crashing down on the offensive line to the quarterback. A point I must add he was going vs the 2nd unit Oline but still his speed was on display.

Practice was cut a little short making fans happy as random player’s grabbed sharpies and footballs signing them and throwing them to the crowd. I always enjoy this because it’s my chance to get a closer picture of players as they are not that far away.

That’s all for now from Eagan so until Monday have a great Sunday!!!

 

SKOL

PURPLESTICK

No comments:

Post a Comment