Sunday, April 12, 2020

My thoughts on the 2020 Vikings draft











The NFL draft is getting closer and closer in fact it starts April 23rd as you know. The world we live in with so many unknowns will impact the NFL draft as well.


Yes it was going to be in Las Vegas who even would have closed a main street so hundreds of thousands of fans could jam in. The Covid 19 has shut that down as well. It will be strange not seeing a draft pick introduced and in turn meet the Commissioner and give him a hug. There will be no red carpet with limos dropping of players. There will be no NFL experts sitting at a table and breaking each pick down or what they think the next team will do.


This whole thing is a unreal unknown as pro days we few if any so how will the scouts know these players. The chance to talk face to face is gone. Yes technology will help so face timing, using zoom or any other means to talk to the potential picks.


It was announced Sunday Commissioner Goodell will announce each pick from his basement. It will be strange not to see the normal war rooms as they are strategizing their picks. I have read that the picks will be from several different homes. 
The talk of not so many trades will be interesting to see if that comes true. I think the first two rounds of player’s people will know of but as the rounds keep coming because of the lack of pro days could potentially hurt players. I believe the combine in Indianapolis is a good thing to happen before all things have escalated to social distancing.


This will be the first year my wife and I won’t attend the Vikings draft party and I am ok with that is health is everything. I will assume one day things will get into the norm again.


As for the Vikings draft and know for now they have 12 picks including two first round picks thanks to the Stefon Diggs trade to Buffalo.


I am real interested to see if the Vikings make a trade to obtain disgruntled Washington Redskin, Trent Williams. I know he is 32 years old and has been a dominant tackle earlier in his career, I would not mind a trade but please don’t give up the bank for him.


If the Vikings do not trade for him I would not be surprised to package one first round pick and a later pick to move up. The thing is move up to get what would be the question. My thought on pressing need is defensive back, Offensive tackle and wide receiver and I would say in that order or flip the tackle and defensive back around.


The fact I have more time than normal due to our fun stay home order gives me time to watch way more football than I ever have as far as the draft. This time of the year by far and away is my favorite time of the year. I always feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas I say every year almost a copy and paste.


I saw a mock draft that had us taking Wide Receiver, Justin Jefferson from LSU who had a huge National Championship game this recent January at pick 23. I saw then at pick 25 an Offensive Tackle Austin Jackson out of Southern California University. If this would go down I would be one ecstatic Vikings fan.


If not there are two players I am very high on and they are Wide Receiver, Denzel Mims out of Baylor and safety, Grant Delpit from the National Champion LSU Tigers
.

It’s funny because in the mock draft that has us taking Jefferson and Jackson while Mims is slotted to be taken by Green Bay with the 30th pick and 31st pick by the San Francisco 49ers would take Delpit.

The mock draft no one knows for sure especially this year with the craziness of the virus.
 I will throw one thing out and my prediction the Vikings will take a quarterback with the 2nd or 3rd round. The draft has some real god quarterbacks and an intriguing one out of Utah State, Jordan Love.


That’s all for now

Thank you for reading

Purplestick


No comments:

Post a Comment