Saturday, April 13, 2013

Antoine Winfield, short in height but not short in heart will be missed


The draft is getting closer and closer and now a new problem faces the Minnesota Vikings after Friday’s turn of events.

My favorite free agent signing of my lifetime was Antoine Winfield. It was a sad day for me as I see he signed a one year deal with the Seattle Seahawks.

My heart is torn because the selfish fan I am wanted Antoine to remain a Vikings. I have to admit when I found out Antoine was released I figured it would be the last I would see him in Purple.

I held up hopes the longer he took to decide. I know the NFL is all about money and guys wanting to get the ultimate prize, the ring.

I have no hard feelings against Winfield rather I wish him well in the future. This man is a first class act.

I remember when Antoine left Buffalo to sign here along with Pat Williams I was excited to see these big names come to Minnesota.

I will admit it will be different no seeing 26 in the defensive backfield. You know that when a catch was made that Winfield would be a sure tackle even if the receiver was 6’5 the man would go down. The way he made it look so easy is something I will never forget about Antoine.

The fact what is going on now days I see are guys trying to bump players down instead of wrapping them up. Antoine was a wrapper and played the game the way it is meant to be. I hope the Vikings defensive backs that are left on the roster took mental notes on how Antoine played the game.

It is unbelievable the connections that Seattle and Minnesota have. The sad part is Minnesota travels to Seattle this season and will battle against their now ex-teammate.

Seattle is close and now with Winfield added this team is going to be even tougher.

My next thought involves the draft. The team is in need of a linebacker, wide receiver and now do they look at making a defensive back a priority?

Chris Cook and Josh Robinson I like but if one of those guys goes down do we have the depth to keep up with the opposing receivers.

The Vikings I believe play against the best receivers in the NFL right here in our own division. Bears have Brandon Marshall, Packers have Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and James Jones and finally the Lions have “Megatron” Calvin Johnson.

Then to complicate the quarterbacks in the NFC North are a headache with Rodgers, Cutler and Stafford all zinging the ball to the above mentioned.

There are so many questions in my mind in regards to which way the Vikings are leaning with the first round and all the picks.

I once again say Good Luck to Antoine in the future and you will be missed both as a person and a player. Thanks for treating the fans so kindly.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment