Thursday, August 30, 2012

Preseason is over

The preseason has come to a close and now decisions must be made on who stays and who goes. In less than 24 hours 22 players will be unemployed.

Before I talk about the game I would throw out a thought how much I really enjoyed one specific thing from all 4 games and that was the simulcast KFAN did with Paul Allen and Pete Bercich in the booth and Ben Leber on the sideline. I really hope they will do this again next year.

The Vikings hosted the San Diego Chargers last week. The Chargers left many of their stars back in San Diego. Tonight the whole Vikings team was on the sideline. I really thought that was a nice touch by the players and the organization as a whole.

The interview Ben Leber did on the sideline with John Sullivan made me laugh as Sullivan said standing the whole game his feet hurt and his back was sore. They sure had fun with that in the booth.

On to the game questions have now arose. The quarterback situation will be a major question did Joe Webb do enough to solidify his spot or did McLeod Bethel-Thompson arm strength do enough to become on the 3 they will keep. This is such a tough call because the athleticism of Webb will be hard to overlook. I did not feel he ever got comfortable as a pocket passer. Bethel-Thompson showed nice touch on some of his throws and also showed his arm strength with his 95 mph fast ball. The fear if he goes practice squad, does he stay or does another team snatch him. I fear the 2nd part. I am torn but if I had to make a call I would keep MBT.

Toughness of the quarterbacks showed up tonight with Sage Rosenfels taking such a hard hit his helmet came off and he got right up. The hit Bethel-Thompson took that was called helmet to helmet also was impressive that he got right up. The risk of playing the quarterbacks behind 2nd and 3rd strings is concerning on any team in the NFL. In seeing these 2 guys get up has got to be respected.

The 3rd running back made a major stride tonight. Matt Asiata I have really enjoyed what he has looked like in Mankato and now these 4 games with his tough runs. Tonight Jordan Todman steps up and makes the beautiful run to the outside with his 4.3 speed and goes the distance. I envision Todman as a guy who any time he touches the ball he could take it the distance. Gee, I believe there is somebody else on this team that has the same threat. I would never compare Todman with Peterson just 2 different types of backs with AP all strength and a ton of speed and Todman blessed with speed. Asiata’s hard work all preseason or the potential of some serious speed in the backfield which does the team go? It would not surprise me if they kept both. The one advantage Asiata does have is he can play multiple positions with half or full back.

The receivers tonight did not look overwhelming impressive but I do think the catch by Devin Aromashodu for the touchdown gave notice. I believe this guy has so much potential. He has the height. The greatness of this catch came as he was clearly interfered with yet concentrated on the ball making the catch and taking it the rest of the way. Yes, it is only one catch but it was nice boost for his confidence. I just believe he has too much potential to let him go.

Jarius Wright made a strong case for him to make the team as he finally got a chance to show his speed on his TD. I still think he is a dangerous man also fielding punts. The ankle injury he suffered does not help. I feel he showed enough throughout preseason to make the squad. Once again the 3 game suspension to start the season for Jerome Simpson may be something a guy like Wright could use to his benefit. He is versatile with being a receiver along with a sure handed punt returner.

I am concerned about the depth of the offensive line being not to strong. All 3 quarterbacks had to make too many plays on their own. The run blocking seemed decent but the pass protection was hard to watch at times.

The defensive side of the ball seemed to have the theme from week 1 in San Francisco especially on open drive. Houston made it look way to easy. As the game went on it seemed to get better. The goal line strand was very impressive and a compliment to the young guys out their fighting for their livelihoods.

The 80 yard touchdown pass Houston got was such a shame. The Vikings defense needs to wrap up instead of trying to shoulder a play over the play would have been much shorter. The catch happened but the yards after the catch has got to be minimized. It is just preseason so the film work when they watch should be an easy fix to identify.
The play of Audie Cole tonight was one word I will use and that is hustle. It seemed as every play that Houston ran the number 57 was in the picture either making the tackle or being part of a tackle. I do not know how this guy will not make the team. I love his energy on the field. Audie picked in the 7th round might just be considered a small steal of the draft.

If I could give my own MVP awards for the game I would give Jordan Todman and Audie Cole. These guys really made a case for Friday and why they should stay.

Friday August 31 is cut down day. Who is the surprise to stay and who is shocked they are leaving. Stay tuned

Next up: Talk about the cuts

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment